Friday, September 30, 2011

Southern BBQ In Philadelphia


    Where’s the next closest “South” you can get BBQ that’s in Philadelphia? Tricky question... with an answer. Percy Street BBQ! Texas style food with a little extra on the side. Sometimes I want to go out to eat and use my hands even though they offer silverware. Percy Street captures the classic Texas atmosphere with their weathered chalkboards with the menu and drinks listed. The decor was old fashion farm house meets Texas country land. For larger groups than 2-4 they had these neat bench style tables where everyone could share the food. The bright red and blue glazed table tops took be back to classic America. Even the lights were hanging inside old glass jars. Once we were seated a waiter immediately came to our table and filled our glasses with ice cold water and c-clamped a role of paper towels to our table. That was cool! 


    Before I get too deep into my dining experience, I was planning on eating here a few weeks ago for my boyfriend’s birthday, but was deterred when it was closed for a private event I didn’t know about. The manager, Don I wrote an email to about the incident responded quickly and professionally. Having received a gift card in the mail I made sure to make the trip back soon. So when I got their last night with my boyfriend he was there and came to my table to apologize once again and to make sure I was taken care of, also to make sure my boyfriend spun the birthday wheel! Thank you Don for making our dining experience incredible :)

    After we put our order in the waiter came back with a tray of their signature sauces; which consisted of a mild to hotter sauces. 

For a appetizer we ordered the BBQ fries which was topped with chopped brisket and cheese. Kind of reminded me of a Philly cheesesteak which was a good thing. They came out hot with the cheese melting on top and chunks of tasty brisket. I made sure and tried all the sauces and I think my favorite was Old Faithful. Other than washing these down with water we ordered some drinks. The drink list was very extensive, including cocktails, whiskey, and canned beers. What first struck my interest in this restaurant was the canned beer. I don’t see much of that around here, and the quality of the beer in a can was impressive. 

    For the main course we got meat. Oh yeah it was good meat! The simple salt and pepper rub than smoked in a pit spoke for itself. I got the brisket with some moist and lean slices. It came with coleslaw, pickles, and onions wrapped in butcher paper. For my choice of side I got collard greens. The dinner was served on a silver platter; seriously ha! More like a silver lunch tray with a moist cloth. The helping of coleslaw and collard greens was plentiful and tasty. The waiter also brought out slices of white bread if we wanted to make sandwiches with our meat. The brisket came out hot and smokey. Yummm :) I cut up some slices and ate it as is which was so juicy and packed with flavor. I tried some with the sauces and also made a little sandwich. The presentation of the food and the white bread had a real old western country feel.

    Key Lime Pie was for dessert. Don brought it out in addition to a slice of their Pecan Pie. He was asking how our dinner was and was nice enough to bring a extra dessert. Both were rich in taste. The key lime pie had the perfect citric after taste and the pecan pie was topped with the creamiest, cold vanilla bean ice cream I’ve had in awhile. The pecans were sweet and crunchy with a perfectly baked crust.

    After eating we spun the birthday wheel and got a free root beer float. I think that was nice to have something like that, it will keep you coming back. 



The location was on the heart of South street and the food had that perfectly smoked southern taste. Next time I go I have to try their cornbread.

No comments: