Saturday, November 19, 2011

Food Styling By: Tobe LeMoine



1. What made you decide to be a food stylist?

When I was in culinary school I initially wanted to open a restaurant. After becoming more educated I really liked the artistic aspect of food as a medium. Once graduated I pursued the food styling direction.

2. Where are you originally from?


I’m from the Chicago area. My mother was a gourmet cook for her time. That’s where I had the initial interest in cooking and food.

3. Where did you find it the easiest to get work? To start out?

When I first stated out I was assisting other food stylist. Through that I developed samples of my own. I created a portfolio of my own and once I felt proficient in my skills I started to work on my own.

4. What is your connection to Food on Film?

When I used to assist I started to attend the event. It was very educational where I learned new skills, and meet new people. In 2003 for Food on Film I taught a meat styling class with Judy Vance.

5. Who are some notable photographers you have worked with?

I’ve worked with so many! One I’ve worked with was Kevin Smith who is based in Chicago. Kevin and I have been friends and have worked together for years.

6. Where/who have you looked for your inspirations?


I’ve looked in different periodicals of art. I admire Donna Hay’s style because it’s natural and real. Otherwise I just start brainstorming and thinking of creative ideas.

7. What type of marketing do you do for yourself?


I started with creating my website, and listing myself in creative directories. Also trying to make new contacts with photographers. Eventually I got to the point where work was word of mouth.


8. What type of degree did you graduate with from The Culinary Institute of America?

 An Associates in Occupational Studies, which was a 2 year degree.

9. What is your favorite food or drink to style?


All the above. I love my job and like to style and think creatively with everything.

10. What is your must-have tool on every shoot?


Tweezers, can’t survive without them.

No comments: