Friday, October 12, 2012

Food Stylist: Amy Marcus

 
 
 
1. What made you decide to go to culinary school?
 
I moved to Italy about a year after graduating from college. I lived with my relatives in Lucca, and then I moved to Florence. I had a boyfriend in Florence and his mother was the most amazing cook! I cooked with her all the time, furiously writing notes, and trying to translate what she was saying from Italian to English. When I returned home to NYC, I decided that I wanted to continue cooking, so I went to culinary school. 

2. Do you have foodies in your family?
 
Yes Yes and Yes!! Both sides of my family love to eat! I am Jewish and Italian, so it was ingrained in my at a very young age. I grew up on Pasta and homemade sauce, the best!

3. How was your experience working at the foodnetwork?
 
It was great! I did my internship there from culinary school and then stayed on freelancing for 4 years. I learned so much and just loved it! In fact, I recently started freelancing there again developing recipes. It's been wonderful!

4. Who was your first breakthrough client?
 
I'd have to say for recipe testing and developing, Martha Stewart Magazine. This was the first place that I actually learned the skills of testing and developing recipes. It was very important to my career. For Food Styling I'd say working for the television show the View and then The Right At Home Website for SC Johnson. They were a wonderful client because I developed the recipes and then styled the food at the photo shoot. I really can't say if I prefer film or stills. They are so different, and I really enjoy doing both. It's so great to have the variety. 

5. How has social media helped your business?
 
I've definitely met people in my business online whom I never would have come in contact with. I've made so many new contacts. And my name gets passed around more because of it. 

6. Who are your inspirations?
 
I'd have to say my biggest inspiration was and is my mentor AJ Battifarano. She was the person I started assisting after culinary school. She taught me everything that I know! She is still a wonderful friend and mentor

7. Have you ever traveled for work?
 
Yes I have, but really only to local places such as Philadelphia and Chicago

8. Dream Client?
 
I'd love to work for an Italian or French company and have to shoot in either of those places. Just for the local produce alone!!! Not to mention the pasta!

No comments: